The health sector’s approach to health is unsustainable. Seeing health from the perspective of communities is fundamental to transformative change.
That’s why we run the Creating Health Collaborative. It's an international group of innovators exploring health from the perspective of people and communities, and looking at how that perspective influences local efforts to create it.
The Collaborative was established by our co-founder, Pritpal S Tamber, while he was the Physician Editor of TEDMED. It was his response to the lack of empathy he felt innovators showed towards people’s lived realities – especially those living in difficult social circumstances.
It was through the Collaborative that we came to focus on the importance of agency to health and were able to describe the field of practice that links the health sector and those that foster community agency.
The Collaborative has more than 50 members, largely from the US but also from Canada, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand and the UK. The members are listed below.
Annual CHC Meetings
Innovators become members of the Collaborative by participating in our annual two-day meeting in New York, hosted by Loeb & Loeb LLP. Innovators are invited to share their work and are encouraged to focus on their struggles more than their successes.
Some innovators became members of the Collaborative by contributing to our eBook Communities Creating Health. In it we explored designing, implementing and evaluating health interventions with communities rather than for them. Published Sept 2015.
And some innovators became members of the Collaborative by contributing to our webinar Organizing Communities to Create Health where we explored the complex needs of communities, including their health. Broadcast November 2015.
If you’re interested in participating in the Collaborative’s meetings, or in nominating a person, project or program, please get in touch.
Given the cross-disciplinary nature of this work, the backgrounds of the members of the Collaborative are varied and include resident leaders, leaders from community-based organizations, health care and public health practitioners, funders, evaluators and researchers, and individuals from policy institutes.
The list below is sorted by first name and the roles mentioned are the ones each person had at the time of their involvement with the Collaborative (unless they have asked for it to be updated). Only individuals are members of the Collaborative, not their institutions.
- Alexandra Desautels, Program Manager for Strategy Development, The California Endowment, USA
- Alina Baciu, Senior Program Officer, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, USA
- Anjali Taneja, Executive Director, Casa de Salud, New Mexico, USA
- Anthony Barrueta, SVP, Government Relations, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, USA
- Anthony Iton, SVP for Healthy Communities, The California Endowment, USA
- Bridget B Kelly, Co-Founder and Chief Delivery Officer, Bridging Health & Community
- Bruno Sobral, Professor and Director, One Health Institute, USA
- Catalina Denman, Profesora-Investigadora, Centro de Estudios en Salud y Sociedad, El Colegio de Sonora, Mexico
- Chantal Walg, Health Advisor, Syntein & Health Transformer, Games for Health Europe, The Netherlands
- David Chavis, Principal Associate/CEO, Community Science, USA
- David Citrin, Director of Impact, Possible Health, Nepal and USA
- David Zuckerman, Senior Research Associate, The Democracy Collaborative, USA
- Deepthi Welaratna, Founder, Thicket, USA
- Doran Schrantz, Executive Director, ISAIAH, USA
- Elizabeth Slade, Chief Operating Officer, Sunday Assembly, UK
- Gerry Greaney, Designer/Researcher, Center for Innovation, Mayo Clinic, USA
- Sir Harry Burns, Professor of Global Public Health, Strathclyde University, UK
- Hector Y Adames, Associate Professor, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, USA
- Jamie Harvie, Executive Director, Institute for a Sustainable Future, USA
- Jeff Cohen, Director, FSG
- Julian Corner, Chief Executive, Lankelly Chase, UK
- Katherine Mella, Economic Democracy Project Post-Graduate Fellow, MIT-CoLab, USA
- Kerry Byrne, Principal at CareSwell Research Consulting, Canada
- Kien Lee, Principal Associate/Vice President, Community Science, USA
- Kim Fortunato, Director of Community Affairs and President of Campbell Soup Foundation, USA
- Kimberly Sims, Mayor, Muskegon Heights, USA
- Kingshuk Das, Head of Design Strategy, Executive Director at JP Morgan Chase, USA
- Lauren A Taylor, Co-Author, The American Health Care Paradox and Doctoral Student, Health Policy & Management, Harvard Business School, USA
- Leigh Carroll, Master in City Planning Candidate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Lisa Shufro, Former Managing Editor of TEDMED and now a Conference Designer & Speaker Curator, USA
- Lorenzo Rocco, Associate Professor at University of Padova, Italy
- Maggie Hawthorne, Director, Strategy and Innovation, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers, USA
- Maggie Super Church, Health Strategy & Metrics Consultant, Healthy Neighborhoods Equity Fund, USA
- Maneesh Juneja, Digital Health Futurist, UK
- Mark L Wieland, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Primary Care Internal Medicine, The Mayo Clinic, USA
- Margaret Aimer, Development and Delivery Lead, Ko Awatea Health System Innovation and Improvement, Counties Manukau Health, New Zealand
- Marvin Avilez, COO, HICCup's Way to Wellville, USA
- Meghan Williamson, Pine Knot Projects, USA
- Mike Roaldi, Vice President of Policy, Health and Community Alignment, UnitedHealthcare Community and State, USA
- Nancy Knopf, Community Health Partnership Manager, Columbia Pacific CCO, USA
- Naomi Adelson, Professor of Anthropology and Associate Dean for Research, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, York University, Canada
- Nayeli Y Chavez-Dueñas, Associate Professor, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, USA
- Ollie Smith, Strategy Director, Health Moonshot, Telefónica Innovation Alpha, Spain
- Onil Bhattacharyya, Frigon Blau Chair in Family Medicine Research, Women's College Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
- Philip Sambol, Vice President, Operations, Good Food Markets, USA
- Prabhjot Singh, Director, Arnhold Institute for Global Health / Chair, Department of Health System Design & Global Health, Mount Sinai Health System, USA
- Pritpal S Tamber, Co-Founder and CEO, Bridging Health & Community, UK & USA
- Regina Stevens, Health Educator, Birth Matters, USA
- Rupert Dunbar-Rees, Founder and CEO, Outcomes Based Healthcare, UK
- Sally Okun, VP Advocacy, Policy & Patient Safety at PatientsLikeMe, USA
- Scott Liebman, FDA Regulatory & Compliance Partner, Loeb & Loeb LLP, USA
- Seema Kara, Program Manager, US Community Health Systems, Earth Institute, USA
- Thomas Foels, Chief Medical Officer, Independent Health, USA
- Thomas Kottke, Medical Director for Well-Being, HealthPartners, USA
- Tony Thomas, President, Northside Neighborhood Association, Spartanburg, USA